Explore your rock and minerals close up with our hand magnifier. Use two different magnifications (3x and 6x) to observe out the details of your rocks, minerals, and fossils.
The large area has a 3X magnification which means that the object you are looking at will appear to be three times its normal size. The smaller area has a 6X magnification which means that the object you are looking at will appear to be six times its normal size.
Here are the steps to follow to properly focus a hand magnifier.
- Gather your hand magnifier and small objects.
- Sit in an area with good lighting or sunlight.
- Hold the object on the opposite side of the hand magnifier from your eye.
- Looking through the larger, 3x area, of the hand magnifier.
- Move the object or the hand magnifier until you can see clearly through the lens.
If you want to see a certain part of the sample even more closely, use the smaller 6X area and focus the lens the same way described.