New Ask-a-Geologist Question: Layered Rock

Banded SandstoneQuestion:  What is the term for the layering of sedimentary rock?

Answer:  Often these rocks are called layered or banded rock.  Sometimes people use the term “banded” when referring to layered rocks with distinct color or mineral changes.  This photo of a banded sandstone shows the distinct layers or bands of the rock.  In this case, the red color in some sandstone bands was caused by iron being deposited within the rock.  The layers of a rock indicate a change in the composition of the material that makes up the rock such as the iron content or a change from mostly sand to mostly clay.

To see more unique rocks, visit



One Response to “New Ask-a-Geologist Question: Layered Rock”

  1. This information helps me learn about rocks and minerals

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.